The house on the hill



This weekend I was at Ripon College, Cuddesdon for a residential training weekend as part of my Ordination training for the Church of England. I have to attend these throughout my three year course for about six weekends a year as well as a week in the summer and also go to CMS (Church Mission Society) every Monday for lectures. It is a beautiful theological college based up on a hill in a small village called Cuddesdon, just outside Oxford.

 The first time I went there I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the place, which is steeped in history. It was established in 1854 and you can see portraits of many past students on the walls. This can be contrasted with the mug shots they have of us current students up on the noticeboard, so everyone knows who is who. It is an old stone building with mullioned windows and reminds me of a boarding school. It has its own chapel which is a very modern circular building which was commissioned when a competition was held for architects to come up with an innovative design. The chapel has a great elegance and simplicity about it and you can see the sky through the ceiling, which keeps you connected with nature. The acoustics in that building make it perfect for singing. There is also an old chapel within the main house.

There is a common room with wood burning stove and also a bar and the best thing about it is that it works on an honesty system so you just help yourself and just make a note of what you owe. The downside is when you get your bar bill at the end of term!  Meals are held together in a large dining hall and when the meal bell rings people come scurrying and queue up.  The building is vast with winding staircases and hidden corridors sprouting off in many directions. There is also a library where I sometimes go to study or read. We all have our own bedroom with a simple set up of a bed, arm chair, desk and drink making facilities and some rooms are en suite. I heard that you are allowed to bring dogs to stay if they are well behaved, so I will definitely not be bringing Misty and Marshall!

When we arrived on Friday night we had evening prayer in the chapel as usual and then dinner which is always fish and chips on Fridays and then lectures and then we split into small prayer groups. We are always in the same groups for prayers every time we come so we get to know each other really well and support each other. We pray about general worldly things as well as personal things for each other.

After that the bar is open until the last person leaves to go to bed. On Saturday morning I was down on the rota for leading worship in the chapel for morning prayers at 8 am with another lady. I got there at 7.30 am and lit the candles and got prepared. We did not have a pianist so I had to lead the singing acapella style, a bit scary as I wasn’t that familiar with the hymn! We greeted people at the door as they came in and left. We took the service between us and then got feedback from one of the lecturers on how we did.

After worship we had a cooked breakfast and then lectures and lunch. We had some free time in the afternoon so we went to the local pub called the Bat and Ball which is a two minute walk down a country lane. It was very cosy with an open fire and a dense smell of wood smoke and it was so nice to chat and unwind. Later we had more lectures and then dinner and went to the bar.

On sunday we had to meet at 8 am for our small prayer groups and then had breakfast and went to lectures and then we had a communion service and roast lunch. It is lovely as everyone invites their families to the service and the lunch. It is a bit strange for me as I can't bring my family as they are too far away, but before the end of the three years is up I hope to get them to Cuddesdon at some point to experience it.

It is strange going on these weekends away because at home I am so busy with everything and at Cuddesdon there is no housework, dog walking or washing up for me to do so I am free to just be me. It is very liberating and there is lots of time to reflect, which I think is the point. It is also very sociable and there are always so many people to talk to and discuss ideas with. It was not at all a typical weekend  this time but far more dramatic than normal as there was a baby born in the night on the stairs as one of the full-time residents didn’t manage to get to hospital in time and also another student was taken away ill in an ambulance. I am praying that all concerned are now doing well.

I am feeling overwhelmed by how much we learnt this weekend. I was not alone as everyone else seemed to be feeling the same and hoping they were up to the enormity of the task ahead of being Ordained. I am just at the start of my training and I wonder how much I will change and learn over the three years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections

The smell of toast...

First steps as a pioneer