Light Bulb moments



Last week I was in Devon staying at Pickwell Manor, which is 5 minutes drive from Putsborough Beach, near a village called Georgeham. The section of the course was specifically focused on making community projects for good happen. On Monday I drove down with friends Rachel and Alex and we were full of excitement and expectation. We found out as we made our way there that it was literally in the middle of nowhere and I had to reverse several times when meeting oncoming traffic on narrow lanes!  

As we approached, we saw how close it was to the sea and what a fantastic venue it was. Pickwell Manor is a stunning Manor house with mullioned windows set in six acres of land. We could see tree houses scattered among the grounds where people stay for honeymoons. As we entered the main building there was a vast wooden staircase and we gathered in the ballroom where there was a roaring fire and helped ourselves to hot drinks.  The hosts were so generous and we were made really welcome. We were introduced to others on the course and the leaders. There were about thirty of us in total. Later we were shown to our rooms and I was overwhelmed by how luxurious it all was. I was joyful at the beauty of the old building that had stood there since 1905 and would be our home for the week.

The goal was to put together a detailed pitch for our projects to present on the last day to the group and outside investors in a kind of dragon’s den set up. We initially started by roughly sharing our visions and throughout the week brainstormed and supported each other in small groups and honed our ideas, problem solving and sharing expertise, knowledge and contacts. The project I was working on was a community café for Haywood Village.
The whole week was inspiring as there were so many light bulb moments when we all shared ideas and helped each other out, hence the photo which is a light fitting from Pickwell. It was nice living together in community. We all helped with the cooking and washing up and bringing in logs for the fire and shared everything. 

On the last night we were told not to go in the ballroom until 6.15 and when we did they had decorated it and we had a lovely last night meal and drinks and a silly competition where we had to drink tea through Twirl and Twix bars using them as straws! Later  I visited friends in their rooms and it was amazing to see everyone so focused on what they were doing in preparing pitches and presentations and we practiced together, helping each other out.

On the last morning we shared communion. It was so beautiful and simple and we all prayed. I was feeling nervous as I knew the pitches were coming and I was first up. As my name was called I felt excited and couldn’t wait to share my vision. Everyone was so supportive and gave me so much encouragement and valuable insights and support for the future and I felt it went really well. I also loved listening to other people’s pitches.

There were so many different ideas and people were really passionate about their projects. I felt inspired with so many enthusiastic people in one room. The atmosphere was electric. I felt privileged to have been part of some of the early stage ideas and discussions with people. After the pitches we had lunch and then travelled home and I had much to think about and reflect on. I think it will take me weeks to consider all I have learnt and the best thing about the wek is that I have made new friends and contacts who will help me make the project a reality.

Pickwell is a holiday destination so if you fancy a tree house retreat or staying in the main house for a luxury away break then you can check out the Pickwell Manor FB page.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The smell of toast...

Reflections

First steps as a pioneer